Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chicken Curry Salad with Papaya

Last year I went to a friend's bridal shower and had the most amazing chicken salad ever! This is coming from a girl who couldn't touch chicken salad growing up because it basically tasted just like tuna salad to her - and she HATED tuna (past tense - she loves that now too!).  Fast forward to her late 20s and someone introduced her to a chicken salad that wasn't SMOTHERED in mayonnaise and had some fruit in it for a hint of sweetness. SOLD! Then she had this chicken salad and became an even bigger fan. Good fats, protein and yumminess?! Count her in!

Why the heck am I talking in third person??

Anyway....

Ingredient amounts are just approximations - that's the beauty of cooking anyway. Do you love celery?? Throw more in! Maybe prefer green grapes over red? Go for it. Like more mayo? Then go ahead and pile it on. Feel free to add in whatever you want.. I even snuck in some kale!

Curry Chicken Salad with Papaya

4 large chicken breasts, boiled, cooled and diced
3 tbsp curry powder (I used the Michi curry from Whole Foods)
3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 cup homemade mayo (my favorite recipe is here)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups celery, diced
1 1/2 cups purple grapes, halved
1/4 cup green onion, diced
1/2 cup kale, massaged and diced into small pieces (optional)
1/2-1 tsp sea salt
1-2 papayas

Combine the curry powder and coconut oil in a small bowl. Add in the mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar and stir until everything is well combined. In a large bowl combine the chicken, celery, grapes, onion, kale and whatever else you decided to add and mix together. Add in your mayonnaise mixture and sea salt and mix thoroughly. At this point taste it and add more salt or mayonnaise to the taste and consistency you prefer!

My chicken breasts were large so my recipe could easily have served 6 very hungry people. I am single (o soloooo mioooooo), so I've been eating this for a few days now and mixing it up. Sometimes I eat it by itself, other times I've eaten over mixed baby greens and spinach - if you're the sandwich eating type you could do that too. It's really so good I do not mind eating it all week! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...