Monday, February 18, 2013

Apple Banana Cookies - Paleo / Whole 30

Fresh off the heels of The 21-Day Sugar Detox in January I decide to commit myself to EIGHT WEEKS of The Whole Life Challenge with my Crossfit box. I wasn't sure I wanted to, but when I examined my excuses, I really didn't have any good ones. I am sure for most people I workout with the eating is going to be the hardest part. Not that it's easy to show up for an ass kicking a few times a week, but it really just requires you to show up and do it. Changing eating patterns requires a LOT more - in my opinion.

But, I already was eating Paleo... I just had to give up my indulgences that ALWAYS slowly slip out of control. One margarita becomes two. An Americano with some half-and-half and honey as a treat becomes one almost every morning. My brain and body don't get the concept of moderation well.

And so here I am.. part of The Whole Life Challenge 2013 with the aim for FOUR times a week at the box (up from 3), clean eating and a focus on more veggies, lots of water and stretching daily. I went into this with the mindset of "perfect" and thought I could easily get every single point possible.

Then I thought about it.

I'll never be perfect and within a framework of really needing to be good the rest of the week, I think I can handle ONE cheat meal. In fact, that is what I allowed when I first went Paleo, so how is that not good enough now? Plus, I am a single gal and I have people to hang out with.. people who don't want to hear me say "I'll eat before I go" or "I am not eating that right now." Heck, life is too short.

Plus, I really want a margarita :)

So this weekend I cooked up a storm... oh how I enjoy my days off. I made chicken wings (based off this recipe), a bison tri-tip that I crusted in garlic and shallots and seared to perfection, Nom Nom Paleo's Roasted Kobocha Squash (which almost tastes like candy when eaten cold the next day!) and this:


After indulging in major carbs the past couple of weeks (I know, I know), the process to grain and sugar-free is a little tough. It's only day 3, but after I got ahold of The Civilized Caveman's cookbook (200 recipes and not a one of them is HARD! Buy this book... NOW!) and saw this recipe, I decided I needed to make them. I tweaked the recipe just slightly based on what I had on hand... and because I just need to tweak for some reason. So here ya go!

Apple Banana Cookies

2 cups of raw nuts (I used almonds and cashews, recipe calls for almonds/macadamias)
1 cup chopped apple (I used Granny Smith, might use a red if you want it sweeter)
1 banana (I used under-ripe for less sugar)
1 cup shredded coconut
2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place nuts in a food processor and process until in small chunks or very fine, depending on the texture you want (I went very fine). Place nuts in a mixing bowl.

Next, add apples and banana to your food processor and mix well. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the nuts and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer.

Using a scoop, place balls of dough on parchment or a Silpat-lined cookie sheet and slightly press down each ball. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...