1 lb ground grass-fed beef
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped uncooked bacon (nitrate free)
1 large yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 carrots, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 tsp oregano
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 - 26 oz can of whole tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
2 spaghetti squashes
- Heat a large dutch oven and add olive oil. Cook the ground beef and bacon for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the dutch oven with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onion through oregano to the pot and cook until just soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, ground beef mixture and bay leaf. I enjoy squishing the tomatoes between my fingers to break them up :)
- Season with salt and pepper and add some chili pepper flakes if you like a little heat.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes.
To cook the spaghetti squash:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut the squashes in half length-wise and remove the seeds.
- Put the halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet and put in the oven about 30 minutes. Check around 25 minutes - you will know they are done when you can scrape the insides with a fork and they break into strand-like pieces.
|The "spaghetti" will look like|
this when scraped out of it's skin.