Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Paleo Spaghetti

I wanted to share what has now become one of my favorite recipes. You can't go wrong with an entire meal that is about 40% meat and 60% vegetables and tastes AMAZING. Everytime I make this I *drool* for lunch leftovers the next day... and sometimes even the day after that. My hint is to double the recipe and freeze the sauce for later. Yum!

Paleo Spaghetti

1 lb ground grass-fed beef
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped uncooked bacon (nitrate free)
1 large yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 carrots, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 tsp oregano
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 - 26 oz can of whole tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
2 spaghetti squashes


  • Heat a large dutch oven and add olive oil. Cook the ground beef and bacon for about 5 minutes. 
  • Remove the meat from the dutch oven with a slotted spoon. 
  • Add the onion through oregano to the pot and cook until just soft. 
  • Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, ground beef mixture and bay leaf. I enjoy squishing the tomatoes between my fingers to break them up :)
  • Season with salt and pepper and add some chili pepper flakes if you like a little heat. 
  • Simmer for about 45 minutes. 

To cook the spaghetti squash:

  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Cut the squashes in half length-wise and remove the seeds. 
  • The "spaghetti" will look like
    this when scraped out of it's skin. 
  • Put the halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet and put in the oven about 30 minutes. Check around 25 minutes - you will know they are done when you can scrape the insides with a fork and they break into strand-like pieces. 
To serve:
  • You can either scoop the sauce into the squash half and eat it that way, or
  • Scrape all the squash out with a fork onto a plate and spoon the sauce over. 
Yum!

I admit, not a pic of my dinner.. forgot to take a pic and had
packed it all into lunches before I remembered :/

3 comments:

  1. This looks great, Tonya! I think I'll add it to my rotation. I'm gluten free again and love looking at Paleo sites for yummy food :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing...I have to admit I'm very very strongly considering the Paleo diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I'm in the middle of Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet. Not sure if I can have squash but if so, I'm making this!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...