Sunday, March 3, 2013

Paleo Pancakes Perfected! Grain, dairy and refined sugar free

I love pancakes.

Since starting my Paleo journey almost two years ago I've made several pancake recipes. Most were good, one recipe was a total flop, but I have to say that this morning I think I figured out the PERFECT recipe. I've used several recipes to come up with this one and I've tried several temperatures of cooking, timing to flip, etc. I think I finally got it... so I will try to be as DETAILED as possible. With that said, remember that bananas come in different sizes, have different levels of sweetness based on how ripe they are and sometimes I am sure elevation and humidity level can take a toll on how they come out. So don't blame me if you don't think these are perfect! Experiment on your own because, seriously people, I've said it before:

THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!

Have fun in the kitchen. Add stuff. Take stuff out. If you aren't having fun while you're cooking, then you're doing something wrong.

Paleo Pancakes Perfected
(Makes 9 3-inch pancakes)

2 eggs
1 banana
1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk (I like this one)
1 heaping cup of blanched almond flour
1 tbsp coconut flour (if needed - see below)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda

Now here's the easy part - throw all of the above in a food processor and blend, scraping down the sides as needed. I let my food processor go for awhile to make sure the batter was nice and creamy. If the batter seems a little loose, add in the coconut flour and blend, blend, blend. Let it sit for 5 minutes.

And here's the tricky part: Heat a griddle pan on medium heat .. and give it some time people! Let it heat up for 10 minutes or so and make sure to oil it up with some melted coconut oil, butter or ghee (if you are doing dairy). I used a 1/4th measuring cup (not entirely full), to scoop batter in about a 3" diameter. Now be very, very patient. This may be where you might need to adjust your heat as well. The pancake will do most of its cooking on this side so the temperature on your stove should be lower than you'd cook pancakes made with wheat flour -  and the overall cooking process is longer as well (you can tell by how dark my pancakes are). Once the whole pancake seems solidified when you QUICKLY slide a thin spatula under, then carefully flip and cook well on the other side. If the pancake doesn't move as a whole and tries to wrinkle up - it's not ready!

To keep it Whole 30 approved you could get some frozen berries and cook them up on the stove, smashing them slightly, to use as a topping. Otherwise, throw some good quality Grade B maple syrup and some pastured butter on and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...