Sunday, January 8, 2012

21-Day Sugar Detox

For those who've been reading my blog for awhile, you know sugar and I have a love/hate relationship. Heck, it even made it into my 2010 goals. I love how it tastes, I hate how it makes me feel and sometimes how it seems like it controls me. Oh, and the excess pounds it causes - don't forget that.

When I started eating Paleo (mostly naturally-raised meats, veggies, some fruit and nuts) last summer I began a "liking" spree on Facebook for anything and everything Paleo. The great thing is, the community is so accepting and supportive of everyone in it who is trying to help get the word out. One cookbook led me to a blogger, who wrote about another cookbook, who led me to a nutritionist and that got me to the 21-Day Sugar Detox. I knew since it had a Paleo structure to it, this wasn't going to be powders and pills and weird crap. This would be something my body really needed.

Today marks day 7 and the end of the first week. I think since my house has been mostly Paleo since last summer and any non-Paleo eating was mainly when just eating out, my body wasn't quite as in shock as some people who have been posting on the Facebook page. For me, it was giving up something I wanted. For some, it can be as serious as giving up something like cocaine - no joke. Just take a peek at this article from Details magazine. Think you're not addicted - I dare you to give this detox a try then.

Uncured, nitrate-free bacon, free range eggs and
leftover cauliflower, broccoli & sweet onion saute.
Breakfast, Day 7
I think Day 1 and 2 I had a very slight, nagging headache. Kind of like when you are a little congested, but easily ignored. Through day 4 or 5 I found I was just stuffing my face with anything approved to prevent myself from driving down the street to the most fabulous cupcake shop ever. I figured I was ok with this as weight loss wasn't my goal in this detox, it was keeping sugar out of my body. Luckily by the end of day 5 and through today, I haven't been shoveling as much food in and have surprisingly been eating very little - which I'll talk about more in my next post.

I'm also learning to discover the breakfast that isn't sweet. I grew up on cereal, LOVE a good bowl of oatmeal, crave cinnamon rolls, can devour a stack of pancakes and stuff like eggs and bacon were always secondary. And vegetables at breakfast?? Unheard of!

I have lost a couple of pounds with this, but that really isn't the point. I do feel empowered, I feel lighter, I am definitely less bloated and I can tell my sensitivity to sugar is increasing - green apples are tasting surprisingly sweet!

So here's to two more weeks.. and don't forget to "like" my Coach page on Facebook and spread the word. My goal in 2012 is to help motivate others in both areas of nutrition and fitness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...