Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Going Huntin' and a-Gatherin'

I am not one to just jump onto a bandwagon and ride it for all it's worth, only to see the fad die or find out it's horribly bad for you. This is why I've hesitated to even post about this for a few weeks. Plus you'll probably remember the many times I've mentioned ideas on how to get my eating under control AGAIN... and you might be led to think this is just another one of those short-lived moments of willpower.

I am thinking not.

So give me another chance.

Over the past week and a half I've been giving the Paleo Diet a chance. When first reading about this way of eating, it just sounded like a new name for the Atkin's Diet. I was completely opposed to the Atkin's diet. I couldn't understand the idea of eating fatty, over-processed meats all the time and no fruits and veggies. It just didn't make sense and I never bought into that way of eating. It didn't take long for me to see my co-workers lose 40lbs and then end up weighing more than they did to begin with. Obviously not the way to go.


The difference with the Paleo (or Hunter-Gatherer) way of eating is you can consume (and are encouraged to) all the fruits and vegetables you want (about 60% of your diet). The other 40% is lean meats, preferably grass-fed beef, free-range chicken and wild caught fish. Yes, all those meats cost more, but did you know they actually have higher amounts of nutrition for your body? Plus, you're going to save a ton by not eating out as much anyway.. it all balances out.

This is just a short list of the main things that you are asked to avoid for this way of eating:
  • All grains (wheat, rice, quinoa, rye, etc.)
  • All sugars (honey allowed in small quantities and ABSOLUTELY no artificial sweeteners)
  • Legumes (beans, peanuts, garbanzos, soy beans)
  • Starchy tubers (potatoes - sweet potatoes ok sparingly and usually after high-activity to re-fill glycogen stores)
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Yeast-containing products (pickled foods, foods containing vinegar)
  • All dairy products (some people permit butter since the whey portion has been removed)
Woah, I know what you're thinking. Impossible. Yup, that is what I was thinking... but I've been eating some amazing food and even have allowed a cheat now and then (can you say Squeeze with Cheese, please - but hold the fries!).

And I lost 2 lbs in one week without feeling overly-deprived or having to count calories. Amen.

In future posts I am going to answer some frequently asked questions/statements I get the most, including these:

Why no beans!? I thought they were so good for you!
But I'm an athlete, I need my carbs!
Where does that name come from or what's the science behind this?
What about cholesterol, heart disease and other issues caused from eating red meat?

I will also be posting some tried and true recipes I've made that have even made me look forward to lunch leftovers the next day, as well as some common health problems this sort of diet has shown to help.

Please look into this way of eating before you turn up your nose. The books by Dr. Cordain are highly recommended and includes one specific for athletes. I've also been recommended to purchase the book Everyday Paleo for recipes - this is a mom who has converted her whole family to this way of eating and has been doing it for THREE years!

If she can convert the entire family and stay on it for 3 years, you can too!

And many say if you can just go 50% Paleo, it's better than no Paleo :)

2 comments:

  1. My dad would be so proud : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than breakfast and alcohol I'm there, so I'm gonna say that makes me 50% :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...