Thursday, June 23, 2011

Face your Fears

For a girl who likes to be totally prepared, I feel very not so at the moment.

Monday I hike Half Dome with a group of other people called Hikers Unite. The distance scares me a bit (16 miles or so) but mainly because my feet SUCK. I don't know what their issue is, but I've always had foot pain. I've tried every shoe possible that people rave about and still have issues. Even my work shoes now, which are the most comfortable I've ever had, still leave me with sore feet by the end of the day.

That's a long way up... and down.
Top this off with a 10 mile hike done a month and a half ago that left me feeling like I was walking on bruised feet. Uhhh, I'm a little worried.

So 16 miles is going to be interesting. I'm hoping I can keep the foot pain at bay with some regular rests, some Advil and perhaps a little prayer.

Oh, and although I've never considered heights a phobia, the whole cable thingie is going to be a bit nerve-wracking. I am just hoping we can get our large group started SUPER early in the morning so our chances of having not-so-crowded cables on the way up is a good possibility. I keep having flashbacks to being in a ferris wheel where the person I'm with starts rocking the car. No bueno.

So between feet issues, possible heights issues, knee issues (yup, half that hike would be downhill) and the fact that I feel I haven't trained properly for this length or level of hike, we'll see how it goes. As negative as I am sounding, I am actually pretty positive about it all - I know I can do it!

Just a tad hesitant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...