Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The clean plate

Clean eating has begun.

It all started with a magazine spotted in a hair salon by the boy. He wouldn't tell me what it was until we ventured to the bookstore ourselves to look at it together. What a nice guy for not swiping it at the salon.

So we venture into Borders.. or was it Barnes & Noble - who the heck can even keep track? And there it is: "Clean Eating" magazine. I've been harping on him about buying stuff with high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated anything or aspartame in the ingredients list (a la Jillian Michaels "Mastering Your Metabolism"), so he thought of me when he saw the mag.

It was purchased and we zeroed in on the section where you can make one recipe one night and then use the leftovers to make something different the next. Perfect! Especially since it required a very small shopping list (score!).

Tonight we experimented with the first recipe and we both agree it's a keeper. Now, I will admit, I'm not going to crave this meal, but it was good. Part of the lack of craving I am sure has to do with re-setting the taste buds to be ok with less salt, less sugar and more fresh, healthy food.

By the time the meal was done, I was starving and completely forgot to snap a picture, so here's the pic from the magazine.



It's simple - just tilapia seasoned with a bit of chili powder, sea salt and pepper. It is served with a sort of "salsa" that consisted of:

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 semi-firm bananas, chopped
1 cup chopped red onion
3 small jalapenos, seeded and chopped
Juice of 1 lime
2/3 cup packed cilantro, chopped
1 tsp chili powder

We both LOVE avocados, so I threw in 1 1/2 chopped avocado as well.

The banana might seem weird, but it is a banana that has a little green left on it so it's not as sweet as it could be - the combination of the slight sweetness of the banana and the heat of the jalapeno (ooooh and the creaminess of the avocado!) is darn good.

Tomorrow's leftovers will consist of pureeing the "salsa" and using it as a spread in what will be a tilapia wrap - complete with whole wheat tortillas, some spinach and tomatoes. However, I took a peek at the ingredients list on the tortillas and those bad words "partially hydrogenated" are there. Ugh. The store we went to really had a weak selection and I finally got fed up and just grabbed a bag without inspecting it *sigh*

I guess mistakes will happen.

Including the frozen yogurt I treated myself to tonight!

Hey, I convinced myself it was ok since I stuck with the "tart" style and piled it with fresh fruit.

Leave me alone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...