Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Grain-Free Bacon Gruyere Quiche

I'm totally a planner.  I think it comes with the security of knowing what is coming next. The unknown scares the crap out of me and when plans change - OH NO... I have to take a few deep breaths before I can reassure myself that my life will not fall apart because dinner has been moved from one restaurant to another or that we're meeting at 5:30 instead of 5.

So, with healthy eating, planning came naturally for me. I am a list maker - I love crossing things off. I also like to know what I am going to eat and prepare what I can ahead of time to make my life easier on hectic or later working days. Trust me - if you want to stay away from processed junk you HAVE to have a plan. Without a plan, you get tired. When you get tired, you stop caring. When you stop caring, you eat crap. No good.

That's where today's recipe comes in - I can bake this one night and I have breakfast for the rest of the week. And it's THAT good that I won't mind eating it every day. In fact, as this is posting I am probably eating a slice for breakfast before heading off to the city where it'll be almost 40 degrees cooler. Not sure how that is possible for a place less than 90 miles away, but I don't question stuff like that. I just enjoy it.

Grain-free Bacon-Gruyere Quiche
For the crust:
1/2 cup grass-fed unsalted butter (Kerrygold is one brand), melted
2 eggs
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

For the filling:
7 eggs
1 cup full-fat coconut milk
6 pieces of nitrate-free bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh spinach
3/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

For the crust, whisk together the butter and eggs. Stir in the coconut flour and sea salt. Mix together until it becomes a wet dough. Press into a well-greased (I used coconut oil) 10"x 1.5" quiche dish. It'll take some time and patience, but even spread it out and up the sides of the dish. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake for about 10 minutes, or until light brown.

For the filling, saute the onion and mushrooms in the leftover bacon fat until the onions are translucent. Add the spinach and cook down slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and coconut milk together. Add in the bacon, onion, mushrooms, spinach and gruyere cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

Carefully pour the eggs mixture into the crust, being sure to not let the egg mixture overflow the crust. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the center is just slightly set. You want it to be a little jiggly, but not loose. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.

1 comment:

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...