Sunday, January 15, 2012

21-Day Sugar Detox - Day 14

I can't believe it's been two weeks already! They seriously have flown by so fast. It's weird to think I haven't had an ounce of processed sugar (and most fruit sugar) OR grains in that time. I don't think even when I started out Paleo I did that - I allowed myself one cheat meal a week. Talk about self-control here.

And let me tell ya: If I can do it, you can. I will admit I still haven't had any major withdrawal symptoms. I have a friend who just started this week and has had a major headache all day for a couple of days now. Others are getting the "carb flu" and here I am, doing ok.

source
I did have a minor meltdown that ultimately ended myself up in the E.R. last Monday though. Before January 1st hit I stopped at one point and asked myself if I was making too many changes all at once. New workout program (or prep for it anyway), no sugar/grains, getting up early to workout before work on some days, etc. Well, combine that with a little residual heartache from late last year, some issues involving planning some wedding festivities (as long as the future hubby agrees, we're quasi-eloping) and an issue with online bill-pay that had my bank trying to double pay my mortgage - well, that will affect you.

Monday morning I arrived to work early as I noticed when I woke up early that morning that my "pending" bank balance was in the negative. I took advantage of the online chat with a customer service representative (a service I love for many reasons - one being I can "hang up" on them when I am mad and not feel guilty). By the end of the chat I literally could not see straight I was so upset. Have you ever had whatever you're looking at bounce back and forth repeatedly like your eyes don't know where to focus? That was me.

Next thing I know, I am telling a co-worker about my issue and she tells me the left side of my face is swollen and the left side of my mouth is drooping. FREAK OUT MODE. I work in a hospital for those who don't know. We take this sh*t seriously. E.R. bound I was.

Thankfully I checked out fine neurologically. My jaw had started to hurt at this point, but the swelling seem to go as fast as it came. The only logical conclusion was stress. Wow.

So maybe instead of headaches and the "carb flu", the lack of sugar running through my system was messing with me in a different way, i.e. inability to suck it up and move on.


Recently found TJ's almond butter - better and cheaper than Maranatha!
Alas, none for at least a week :(
source
I think I am better now.. I had a great week full of lots of good food. I feel proud of how far I've come and am determined to make this next week really count. In fact, I've discovered I've replaced one addiction (sugar) with another (almond butter), so I am cutting that out this final week as well.

On the menu for this week for the detox:
Monday: Bachelor night so the sister is cooking - thinking fish tacos
Tuesday: Going to visit a friend out of town - should be interesting
Wednesday: Garlic Ginger Chicken (yes again!) with mashed Turnips & Parsnips
Thursday: Going to attempt some Tom Ka Gai soup
Friday: Spaghetti & Meatballs

Usually 4 meals gives me enough leftovers (as a single gal) for lunches/snacks for the rest of the week. Now that I can't do almond butter, I most likely won't do apples - so I might make a LOT of ginger garlic chicken so I have a lot of leftovers!

Menu planning - DONE. Last week - here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...