Friday, July 8, 2011

Oh Em Geee... Chicken Satay with Thai "no peanut" sauce

I miss peanut butter. I won't lie, I have snuck a couple spoonfulls here and there. I understand why I shouldn't eat it (I do notice in large quantities I do get headaches), but it's just hard to stay away from it's, well.... peanut buttery goodness.

One of my favorite ways to consume it is as a dip for Thai foods like chicken satay and those fresh spring rolls. And what did Sarah of Everyday Paleo have to go and do? Become my hero for coming up with a Paleo version of the peanut sauce. Sarah, I am forever indebted.

I did do some slight tweaks - basically by increasing a few of my favorite ingredients. Here is my version:

Thai "No Peanut" Sauce

1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Juice from 1/2 a lime
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon (or more!) fresh grated ginger
1-2 teaspoons crushed or minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (or hot chili oil) - omit or reduce if you don't like it spicy.

Whisk all the ingredients together and serve with grilled chicken or whatever sounds yum to you!

I ate with with chicken satay skewers that I grilled on the stove with a grill pan (grrr.. BBQ out of propane!). I bought a pound of chicken tenders and marinated them overnight in:

Juice from 1 lime
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons coconut aminos (found at Whole Foods or here - a great soy sauce alternative!)
1/2-1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce

I can't wait to eat this for lunch tomorrow!

Now Sarah, how about coming up with a rice wrap alternative so we can eat this sauce with those fresh spring rolls? :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...