Wednesday, January 20, 2010


The title pretty much sums up my day. One moment I am rushing home at lunch to make sure my dog isn't trapped outside in the storm and the next minute I'm in the E.R. and hooked up to an IV with pain meds. I really just didn't see it coming. In fact, I am one of those people who is AFRAID to go to the E.R. because I'll get there, they'll do some tests and 1) I'll either feel better or 2) they'll tell me I have gas or something else ridiculous. Something about the way I was feeling just wasn't normal and LET    ME     TELL    YA, I am SO glad I went in. I was only about a 4 or 5 on the pain scale when I first got a room, 15 minutes later I was about a 7 and probably less than 10 later the nurse didn't even have to ask - all she said was "I'm guessing you're at a 10?" I gave her a nod in between sobs and what felt like gasps of air as I rolled around in the gurney trying to find any position that would make me comfortable (there isn't one). Luckily the pain meds did their job and since they said I had classic kidney stone symptoms I went ahead and refused the CT scan (1/1000 cancer risk is a tad too high for me! Plus, I don't want three-eyed babies, ya know?).

Being in the radiology field, I see patients who suffer or are suffering from kidney stone pain all the time. I have definitely thought on numerous occasions "I'm glad I am very healthy and never even get those things." Well, maybe this is God's way of providing me with a tad more sympathy for those patients. I have also heard that passing a stone is ranked up there with child birth. Well, let me just say that although I've never given birth to a child, but I can definitely see it being a fitting description. Not that there ever was a question, but I will be getting an epidural after this experience.

Now I am just waiting for my Motrin to kick in so I can take a restless dog for a very slow walk - if I don't there is a good chance I'll get no sleep tonight and after today I need it!

And for the record, I was doing very well eating-wise up until the E.R. visit. I was starving on the way home and ended up paying a visit to a certain establishment where it's easy to get in and out with your burger ;)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post. I have an exciting piece of info to share about what I'll be up to for the next 3 months that is going to help jump-start my quest to be healthier in many areas of my life. You just might want to join me!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry. Hope you're doing okay now.


Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...