Saturday, January 23, 2010

balance

Sometimes one word is enough to state an entire goal.

balance

I'm sitting here trying to think of a time when being extreme about anything is a good thing. The only thing I can come up with that sounds like it might work is if you were extremely balanced in your life. One of the most important aspects of who I am is my faith in God, however to say I am extremely Christian still just sounds wrong. I mean, I am crazy for God, but by proclaiming yourself "extremely Christian" sounds a little, well, crazy :) If I say I am extremely clean, I sound a little neurotic. Extremely nice? People pleaser. Extremely responsible? I don't know how to have a good time now and then. See? Balanced might be the only thing that works and doesn't sound bad.

I'm not into horoscopes, but I do find it rather peculiar that I am a Libra and the scales represent my sign. Without starting a huge debate (but I wouldn't mind your opinion, please comment below), I don't think horoscopes are entirely wrong or bad. For a God who has put order in so many other areas of our lives, planet and our own bodies, is there a possibility that there could be similarities between people born during similar times of the year? Before you think I've gone a little wacko, I do NOT believe this fortune-telling business of horoscopes is true.. trust me. So, if the scales represent me, then maybe I've been doing myself wrong all these years by NOT creating balance in my life. 


Ok, ok. Where am I going with this? I need balance. Everyone does. I need to become an extremist in the study and application of balance. I have this pattern of guilting myself into an hour long gym session or 4 mile run several times a week so I can indulge in the Black and Tan sundae from Leatherby's. It seems like it should work, and it does, but I honestly don't have the desire to sacrifice 6 nights and/or 6 hours of my week to working out and miss out on opportunities with friends, family and just plain ol' downtime. I'm always sacrificing someone or something because I'm unbalanced. Then when I become burned out on living extreme in that direction, I just give up all together and end up where I am now.. pigging out and no working out. Ten to fifteen pounds later I'm thinking "What the heck just happened" as if it JUST happened. We all know it didn't.

I need the middle ground.

Today I had a glimpse and I want more.

An afternoon with a new friend.
Shared the sundae.
Two mile run with the pup.

Now that's more like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...