Tuesday, January 26, 2010

{Im}Patient

something i have very little of at times.

I've sat here staring at the computer a bit, wondering what I was going to write about today. A little frustrating since I want to post something daily, but I don't want to ramble for the sake of having a posting. So I found myself getting a little impatient. There ya go.. blog topic.

I had to look up the word online because I get confused between the spelling... sometimes I want to spell it "inpatient" but realize that can't be right because those are the folks in the hospital. Yup, I was right:

Main Entry: im·pa·tient
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)im-ˈpā-shənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English impacient, from Anglo-French impacient, from Latin impatient-, impatiens, from in- + patient-, patiens patient
Date: 14th century
1 a : not patient : restless or short of temper especially under irritation, delay, or opposition b : intolerant 1
2 : prompted or marked by impatience
3 : eagerly desirous : anxious

Yup, definition #1, that's me. I'd say right now I lean more towards "restless" because of "delay." However, I have found I have a lot of "short of temper" due to "irritation" at work lately. I don't know what it is, but it's there. I think a lot of the problem is because I see patient after patient after patient and they all have something in common. Today's rant?



people who are late for their appointment.

I realize things come up, traffic is bad, you went to the wrong building or you just didn't feel up to being on time today. Apparently that happened to everyone today. I would say about 80% of my patients were anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes late today for their appointments. Normally I'll have someone show up super early and then someone show up late and it balances out. When I get a little irked is when I sit there (playing on the computer, of course) from 900am to 930am and then the 855, 910 and 930 patients all show up simultaneously. I feel like I am at a track meet all day.

Sit. Wait.

On your mark. Get set. GO!

Sit. Wait. Wait some more.

*gunshot* Full speed ahead!!

Ok, I know there are some of you that are thinking "I show up to my appointments early all the time and I just sit there and wait and they always take me late!" Well, yes, that happens to me too. However, there just might be the possibility you'll be taken early. May not happen at the doctor's office, but if I'm doing your scan I'll certainly take you in early if I can. I can't tell you how many times I've had people walking out the door 15 minutes before their appointment is even scheduled. Blah blah blah.. I am rambling.

Learning time Tonja. What can I learn from this? Man, I need a big dose of patience. I have a feeling it sort of runs in the family, but I'll keep quiet who I think I got it from *smile*

One thing I do know? For some reason I magically have a lot of patience when I am with someone who has completely lost it. Maybe because I am seeing it from the other side? Perhaps this is what support groups are all about - when one person is ready to give up, the other is there to talk them out of it. The great thing about my Wellness Challenge coming up is although I am doing this with who knows how many other people, I have a small group of girlfriends who I am immediately accountable to and will help to support as well.

Man, this is what I love about writing these blogs. I would have never guessed when I started staring at my computer that I would end up here, much less end up with a bit of a revelation.

And there ya go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...