Monday, July 1, 2013

Watermelon Margarita "Sno-cones"

Sorry kiddos, this one is for the adults. You see, one day my friend Clare and I were wandering the local Walgreens on Las Vegas Blvd looking for some tequila for margaritas. Clare exclaimed "Oh my! Coconut tequila?!" My thought: this could be really bad or really, really good. Just in case, we bought another plain silver tequila and we headed back to our hotel room.

Of course, we popped open the 1800 coconut tequila first. The smell? Heavenly. The taste... stupid good. We were sad to see the bottle empty and were wondering if Walgreen's did alcohol exchanges...

Once back home, Clare hunted that tequila down in the Los Angeles area within 6.2 seconds. I, on the other hand, would just keep an eye out every time I passed through an alcohol section. MONTHS LATER I finally decided to hop into my local Total Wine and there it was. Like a long lost liquid friend. Reunited. And it felt so good.

Now Clare is a genius in thinking up some off-the-wall recipe ideas and sometimes we'll rapid fire text back and forth and come up with some good ideas. This was a result of one of those texting sessions. It's so ridiculously easy I am sure the idea is somewhere out in the web-iverse, but you didn't find it there - you found it here.

Note: If you can't find the 1800 brand coconut tequila, I am sure any 100% agave silver/plato tequila would work just fine. But I don't have time to test an inferior recipe like that, so you're own your own. Oh, and for those crazy enough to make this without the tequila (why on earth??!), I imagine you could sub some sort of fruit juice. Again, I'm advising against it, because tequila is Paleo in my universe. I also won't guarantee the texture is the same.

Watermelon Margarita "Sno-cones"

1/2 seedless "personal size" watermelon (about 2 cups of watermelon flesh)
1/4 cup 1800 brand coconut tequila
Juice from 1/2 lime

Blend all of the above ingredients in a food processor blender. For quicker freezing, put in ice cube trays. But you can put in a freezer safe bowl, or heck, a freezer ziploc bag and wait until that stuff freezes up. When you're ready to serve, break it apart with a fork and it's like insta-sno-cone goodness without having to "shave" anything.

It's almost too easy, I know.

The best part (other than the tequila)? No sickly sweet syrup that ends up at the bottom of the cone as you eat plain ice at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...