Monday, August 13, 2012

Flourless Mocha-Bacon Brownies from Practical Paleo

I have been waiting since April, yes APRIL, of this year for the release of Balanced Bites' Practical Paleo to hit the shelves - and it finally arrived on my doorstep last Thursday. It felt like Christmas. Not so much JUST because I was excited to check out all the various meal plans she has set up depending on your current health situation or goals, or even the recipes, but because I feel like this is THE book to share with other people who are struggling. Whether it be food addictions (hello SUGAR!) or health problems, I have no doubt this book can solve just about anything - maybe even world peace.

Plus, it's absolutely gorgeous. I ended up in healthcare and with a love of nutrition and being healthy, but at one time I had the strong urge to go into graphic design or photography. This book is like the best of all those worlds, plus some.

Many of you know, I do have quite the sweet tooth and when someone requested brownies, you can be sure I am not making anything with flour. In fact, I actually went through my cupboards a couple months ago and threw out all my wheat flour. Yes, whole wheat flour is still wheat flour folks. Not sure how that one isn't making sense to people.

So here's my picture and here's the recipe. And if you haven't purchased Practical Paleo yet, what the heck are you waiting for? It's over FOUR HUNDRED pages of recipes, information and meal plans.. and under $22. I feel like I stole it. Head on over to Amazon and steal a copy yourself.

Flourless Mocha-Bacon Brownies
4 ounces dark chocolate (I used 85%, but those make very dark chocolate tasting brownies)
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled*
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (grade B is the best)
3 eggs
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons very strong coffee
2 tablespoons fine coffee grinds
2 slices baked bacon, chopped

(*this recipe didn't have a ton of bacon flavor - I might try replacing half the fat in this recipe with reserved bacon fat next time to up the bacon flavor)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the melted dark chocolate, butter or oil (or fat), pure maple syrup, and eggs. Slowly sift the cocoa powder over the wet ingredients, whisking it evenly. Add the strong coffee and the coffee grinds and stir until well combined.

Line a 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper and fill the pan with the brownie batter. Top the batter with the chopped bacon pieces and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

NOTE: My brownies went a little flat when I opened the oven door at 15 minutes - I am thinking DO NOT open the door until you absolutely have to check them. The humidity in the oven (I think) keeps everything fluffed up. In addition, next time I may separate the egg whites and beat them to stiff peaks and gently fold those in at the end before putting in the pan.

Let me know if you try this and what you think of my suggestions if you try them!

6 comments:

  1. I tried these yesterday as a test and am making a full batch now. Do you feel they were dry? I felt they were and would want to know how I can make them moister. I also felt there was not enough bacon flavor, so I am mixing 1/4 bacon fat, 1/4 butter (I used coconut oil yesterday, and felt the coconut was a little strong)..... I'll try your separating the eggs too... I've made flourless chocolate cake etc and they are usually really moist (too rich actually)... but these are brownies, not cake..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I am new to cooking, what is the difference between strong coffee and fine coffee grinds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Warren-
      Strong coffee is just the liquid - brewed strong. Then grind up some more beans super fine and that's the other 2 tbsp.
      -Tonja

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the dark chocolate unsweetened??

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me feedback and/or comments - they are much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...